CTE History

Congregation Torat El History

In 2009 Temple Beth Torah and Temple Beth El, which had absorbed Congregation B’nai Shalom in 2001, voted to unify to achieve a strong conservative presence in Township of Ocean and the surrounding community.  Rabbi Michael Goldstein and Rabbi Gordon Yaffe shared rabbinical responsibilities and Cantor Bruce Siegel and Marcia Lane shared cantorial duties. Both buildings remained open with some services in parallel and some united.

In 2010 named changed to Congregation Torat El. The unified congregation numbers approximately 600 families, 350 from Temple Beth Torah and 250 from Temple Beth El. Rabbi Aaron Schonbrun was selected as the first spiritual leader of the unified congregation. Cantor Bruce Siegel continued as Cantor, Ben Laskowitz as Principal, and Pam Cardullo as Executive Director.

 

Temple Beth El

In the early 1920s various women gathered together to talk about starting a synagogue in the area. Temple Beth El was soon after organized in 1921 by the Shepard Vineburgs and the Samuel Lowensteins. The Temple’s birth was at the Vineburg home in May, 1921.Initial services were held in the fall of 1921. The women who had started the movement later became officers and members of the Sisterhood and various organizations.

read more…

 

Temple Beth Torah

Ben Schwartz, member of Orthodox Congregation in Bradley Beach and Richard Scheur, member of Orthodox Congregation Sons of Israel in Asbury Park agreed to hold 1950 Yom Kippur services at the home of the Scheurs since walking to their respective congregations was distant from Wanamassa where they now lived.

read more…

B’nai Shalom

In the mid 1950’s it became apparent that there was a need for a Conservative Congregation in the Long Branch Area. In September 1956, Mrs. Herbert Becker sent a letter to the Jewish Theological Seminary asking for help in getting started. In response two representatives of the United Synagogue of America,

read more…